…Just one request for you this week, and it’s an all-time classic, back, mystifyingly, by extremely unpopular non-demand.
The new Obamacare repeal bill flew under the radar for a while, probably because it was introduced by two GOP senators usually considered moderate (it’s all relative these days, of course). In fact, Graham-Cassidy is by far the most extreme repeal bill yet. While all the other repeal efforts more or less kept Obamacare’s structure and just made it crappier, this one will dismantle America’s entire healthcare system by letting any state do whatever it wants. It will do so much damage that it’s even scared the big insurance companies into speaking out against it – something they refused to do for any previous repeal bill.
The Senate’s ability to pass repeal with 51 votes will expire in 9 days, so it’s a race against the clock to lock down three GOP senators willing to vote No.
Pressure swing state senators to vote no on Graham-Cassidy.
1a. Lee Anne had the great idea of calling swing senators’ directly and asking them to talk to our own Mazie Hirono before they make their decision on whether to take away healthcare from millions of people. If you want to go that route, you can find a list of swing senators here (Just scroll down to the bottom).
1b. Encourage liberal Alaskans to ask Lisa Murkowski to save their healthcare: Indivisible has set up a sweet calling tool allowing you to reach out to liberals who live in red states. Once you sign up, you can choose whether to call Alaska, West Virginia, or Kansas. Here’s Indivisible’s description:
How you can stop TrumpCare from a blue state.
Your tireless (and loud!) constituent power killed TrumpCare in July. And now, millions of people are depending on you to do it again. But if you live in a state with two Democratic Senators who oppose the ACA, you may be asking yourself: what more can I do? How can I influence persuadable Republicans in red states who may be on the fence? Well, we have an answer! We’re bringing back the blue state/red state calling tool from the last healthcare fight.
Here’s how it works:
- Click here to sign up to make phone calls from our peer-to-peer dialing tool. You’ll get an email confirmation with a login, password, and URL to sign into our system. Once signed in, you can start making calls immediately — and we’ll give you a script to make it as easy as possible!
- Next, you’ll call a voter in a key state with a swing Republican Senator. These folks are your friends—they attended the Women’s March, they’re standing up to #DefendDACA, and/or fight for progressive causes.
- You explain how they have power now. You’ll remind them why the continued fight against TrumpCare is so important—and why they have particular power in this moment.
- You ask them to use their power. You’ll ask them to call their senator in opposition to the bill, and to share their own reasons for opposing it.
- The tool connects them to their Senator’s office. The call tool will allow you to automatically patch them through to the Senators’ district offices.
It’s super easy: more than 1,000 Indivisibles in blue states made 100,000 phone calls to constituents in our target states in the final two days before the healthcare vote in July. And we won. We can win this time, too.
Sign up now to use our game-changing calling tool to help move Senators in key red states from the comfort of your home in a blue state. The call tool is LIVE! and you can start making calls immediately to residents in red states. Once you have a login, you can come back and make phone calls at your convenience from 9am to 7pm Eastern every day until we kill this bill.
- If you aren’t already signed up for the Weekly Action Email from Kauai Indivisible – click this link to subscribe. We will never share your address or overwhelm your inbox.
- If you’d like to be part of our online community, join our Facebook Group.
- If you’d like to help us get organized: email firstname.lastname@example.org
and tell us how you’d like to help